Saturday 3 July 2010

Dante

I have always wanted to read Dante. I am learning Italian at the moment and have decided to attempt to read The Divine Comedy in both English and Italian at the same time. No pressure, eh!

What inspired my love of Dante was actually the Hannibal film. I am a bit of a Hannibal film nut to be honest. I spent my second honeymoon in Florence, not for the culture but to follow in Hannibal's footsteps. It was very romantic! But enough of that.... back to Dante.

There is a point, in the Hannibal movie, where Hannibal recites Dante's first sonnet from La Vita Nuova to Allergra. It's a delicious moment, and one has more than slight DS overtones, at least for me...

I am your master
See your heart
And of this burning heart
Your heart
She trembling and Obediently eats.
Weeping, I saw him then depart from me.


Put to music, it is even more spectacular. You can hear it here

No comments:

Post a Comment