Tuesday 8 February 2011

First of The Super Doms?



My favourite show of the moment....swords, very sexy costumes and lots of alpha males fighting!

But, on a more intellectual note, the period of history when kings were the ultimate authority in the land enthralls me. Often called the most successful usurper, Henry VII used his wits, defeating Richard III and uniting the Lancastrians and Yorkists with his marriage to Elizabeth of York. He was a very Machiavellian character (well, a pragmatist if you want to be nice)and for him power was a strategic weapon.

His son, Henry VIII however, whilst benefiting from that power, seemed to become drunk with it. No one was able to challenge him...even the Catholic church got ousted in the end when it refused to grant an annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragaon. As for advisors and wives, well, they didn't have a chance.

Is Henry VIII a Domly icon? He had the trappings of a Super Dom....everyone, but everyone, had to be submissive to him. His only challengers were the other kings of Europe. It must have been lonely however, as it would have been hard to have been intimate with other people (apart from sexually) as no one else could be deemed to be on the same level.

And popular opinion is that his power eventually corrupted him.

I do wonder sometimes, about that knife edge between being a submissive and being intimate, intellectually intimate I mean. It's a hard balance to keep. For me I have to be drawn to someone intellectually, to be seduced by their mind as much as their body. And the sort of man I like would definitely feel the same. Sharpening your wits with someone can be just as erotic as anything physical. And yet that's a hard balance to keep if you are being Dom and sub. But I suppose part of the appeal is in trying to keep that balance. If it is all too easy, where's the fun in that?

And hopefully power only corrupts kings.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, I dunno, I think power corrupts everyone (at least that's my viewpoint when I'm all tied up in knots). And you're right--mental intimacy is a delicate dance of minds in D/s. But I have been told that dominating the mindless is no fun so it's probably a good thing that it's not "too easy."

    ReplyDelete