Wednesday 12 May 2010

DS and Movies

In my recent movie conversations with Doms somewhere along the line the film The Secretary is inevitably mentioned and inwardly I groan. What is it with this film?

I remember watching it and feeling disappointed, perhaps because her submissiveness was the theme..but I didn't actually think he was all that dominant.

Yes, it is apparently one of the few "mainstream" films that deals with DS..or is it...

Think about Hannibal Lector and his relationship to Clarice Starling in the Hannibal franchise. Surely there's more than a hint of something DS going on there, especially in the fridge scene in Hannibal when he locks her pony-tail in the fridge door and pulls off the handle, leaning over to ask if she would ever ask him to stop. Argh! Knee trembling stuff!

And Dangerous Liaisons (ok, I know it is a book). How does Madame de Tourve have so much control over the Vicomte de Valmont, and why does she get him to do such cruel things?

Okay, these might not be all-spanking outright kinky scenarios but the fact that they are not is actually what makes them very erotic...for me, at least.

James Mason was a very formative figure in my emerging sexuality, especially in the film The Seventh Veil, which I think is actually the closest thing to a DS relationship I have ever seen in mainstream cinema. It was also the first time I realised that my ideals were a little different to other people's. Forget The Secretary, this film may be a post-war black and white movie but it simmers with a heady combination of both emotional and what I am sure is DS sexual tension. You can see a clip on Amazon here

No comments:

Post a Comment